Sunday, January 11, 2009

Crime & Punishment - Eastwood Style


Was looking for a quote on the 'death penalty' in another context. Came across this interview with Clint Eastwood.

Reductionist for sure. But it is an interesting encapsulation of how many American's see this issue in strictly 'black & white' terms.

"Although he [Eastwood] describes himself as 'libertarian', he is unapologetically in favour of the death penalty. 'I guess it's because I have a very fertile imagination and I always sympathise with the victim. I never sympathise with the accused unless there's a chance the accused is not guilty, but I certainly don't ever sympathise with the criminal. I mean, I'm not one of these guys who sits around saying, "Gee, I mean, the person had a strange childhood and that's why he's doing this horrible thing. Poor Jeffrey Dahmer. He's just had a bad childhood and that's why he's eating people." Wait a second! This person should be removed from the planet.'

Later, when the conversation has somehow strayed on to Islamic fundamentalism, Eastwood is similarly outspoken. 'Imagine somebody telling some 12-, 13-, 14-year-old kid: "Put on a vest, go out and blow up people and then you'll go to Heaven and there'll be 72 virgins." I mean, imagine the stupidity of that from our point of view. You think, wait a second, you don't even know if there is a hereafter and, if there is, what's so great about virgins?'"

Guess there's no shades of gray in this 78 year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment